I just don't think there will be a time soon that Windows and OS-X will see as the end. Online computing, including operating systems, storage, and applications is convenient for those with the right technology to run it. Without the right internet connection, cloud computing could be frustrating.
There is still a significant number of people who lack any internet service outside of a public location. Then from the population that does have regular service, many do not have 'always on' service. In addition, a slow internet connection will make the transfer of data frustrating.
Now and for some time in the future, I think the transfer of data, the use of online applications, and online storage will continue to demand the use of physical, user-point, memory. Before the cloud computing can really take off, almost everyone will have to have a fast reliable connection that they can trouble shoot themselves. And investors will have to put their money into the online computing industry. This will also take away one of the primary advantages of online computing. It's free.
The ball has started rolling, however, and it will be interesting to see if our children, kids who will not know life without the internet, will make the change happen because of their comfort level and their knowledge of online computing.
Your comment about the difference in comfort level and knowledge of online computing really rings true. I am one of those that still pays bills via snail mail (although I'm slowly changing gears - more for the "green" aspect than for the convenience) but I see my students and my children not ever experiencing traditional billing because of their comfort level with computers and online computing.
ReplyDeleteIn the near future there should be some significant changes in our access to the Internet. President Obama and candidate Obama both pledged to put significant money and energy into expanding broadband access to the country claiming it as a right, rather than a privilege. I can't agree more with him on this issue, especially as we see all the needs that are being met by the Internet are rapidly on the rise.
ReplyDeleteDanelle,
ReplyDeleteI think that currently cloud computing could develop an environment of the haves and have nots. As you have indicated, those who cannot access the internet or can access without proper bandwidth, can be placed in a position of significant disadvantage. It will be interesting to see if changes with accessibility to the internet will develop as rapidly as the technology of online computing. Obviously, only time will tell, but as an educator I would feel terrible if I felt pressured into developing a classroom focused on online computing knowing that many may be left out in the cold.
You have an interesting observation but... I think you should realize that the internet has finally offered people who sell things, a way to prequalify all the lookers. People on computers usually have to pay for their connection with a credit card, that makes them economically sufficent enought to buy things. It may not be egalitarian but it does separate the buyers from the lookers.
ReplyDelete