Sunday, October 4, 2009

530 Session 3

Planning a presentation is not something I have really put much thought into before this week's lessons. It was always a 'gut reaction' sort of thing, where I would have an idea or problem, decide a presentation would be a solution, envision the final product, then begin to produce. The final outcome would usually be what I envisioned, but the process was painstakingly long.

Planning a presentation, with all of it's elements would not only lead to a more refined end product, but also a more efficient process. It make take a little of the 'art' of creating a presentation, and replace it with a bit of 'science', but the balance would make creating a presentation a more viable option in terms of practicality. No longer would producing a presentation be a daunting experience, but one that could be implemented with more frequency. The creative part would continue to be music selection, script writing, and visual incorporation.

A planned presentation would also be more effective because I would consciously incorporate some of the principles of design, signal vs. noise, the use of visuals over bulleted lists, empty space, contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity.

Simplifying my current presentations will be one item on my agenda this year. In addition, the new presentations I create will be more Zen. I will want to have continuity between each of my presentations for math to make the presentation feel like a routine part of the course. So, when I work on presentations this year, I will create a focus on vocabulary and primary skills, and less on the use of the digital student edition of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment