Sunday, October 4, 2009

530 Session 5

A rubric is a pretty routine for me to create. I only use a few rubrics in my class, but they have all been either created or modified in the past year. Also, I had spent the last two years in assessment strands for my PDP.

This one, however, was a bit challenging due to its content. I started out wonder how the heck I was going to assess my students on a quality multimedia presentation when I really didn't want them to spend much time on the presentation part; I wanted them to focus on math. Well, I thought maybe I would just 'fake' the rubric and pretend that I would make the presentation quality a significant factor. ...Yeah, I really suck at that... So, I went to the Digitales website, remembering there were links for tools and other resources. Well, low and behold (where does that phrase come from anyway?)there was a scoring guide generator. I used it. I admit I used it. Then I read it. What the heck? I could hardly comprehend what each of the criteria was; that's to say nothing about how one of my 12 year olds would understand it. Anyway it ended up being a good way to focus on the task at hand. I also think the scoring guides that can be generated would be a good way for me to assess my own presentations.

So, with my Digitales book open to page 111, my Presentation Zen book open to page 153, and the scoring guide I used last year at hand, I created a new, improved multimedia presentation rubric. I use Digitales to form the standards for the process of creating the presentation, and Presentation Zen to set the criteria for the quality of the presentation. I used modified point definitions for each section of the evaluation, (Getting Ready, Creation, and Content), to balance the weight of the content presented and the presentation itself. The content and quality is worth 24 of the 39 points, and the preparation is worth 15 of the 39 points.

JayCut reminded me of You Tube in its GUI, but had some of the video editing tools of a basic editor like MovieMaker. I looked around at some of the videos on the site and wasn't too impressed. It would, however, be a useful editor for someone doing quite a bit of cloud computing. I think I will stick to installed software for now, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment