Tuesday, January 19, 2010

540 Session 4

Well, this session's assignments have sent me on a rollercoaster of ups and downs about how secure I feel when I am online. I have always been aware of the ability of other entities to watch what I was doing (1984 anyone?), but I have just had this level of trust necessary to even allow myself to use the internet.

Learning about Bill Tancer and Hitwise, I have come to realize this awareness. What before was an assumption has now become reality. Companies want to know what I am doing and they have the means of finding out.

Now, having said that, I must also admit that I have come full circle, brought back with the comfort of knowing that these companies are also being monitored and that there is a code of ethics, guidelines that mandate accessing private information.

But... like mentioned in class tonight... it isn't the ones who are ethical that have to worry about, is it?

This is one heck of a ride, with the war of oblivion vs. knowledge being my only comfort. Who will win? I don't know, but I have to settle into a sense of security somehow in order to contiune to operate status quo.

The ride continues...

1 comment:

  1. Hold on, it will be quite a ride. I hope this week made us all a little more aware and a little less secure - what a terrible thing to wish anyone.

    ReplyDelete