Thursday, January 22, 2009

Google Docs Are Getting My Attention

I was going to modify a worksheet I had made and stored in Google Docs tonight. I went in, modified it, (begrudgedly using a table), and went to print it. In the classic style of our school's LAN, my computer froze. I was forced to resolve this situation if I wanted to send the document to the copier. In my attempt, I recalled a solution I used to print out PDF files on our LAN (which also hangs up the computer).
I tried to download the document so I could open it in the Preview application, then print it without problem. I tried the CNTRL click...no luck. I opened the FILE menu...and what did I see? A download option! Not only was it an ordinary download option, but I could download my document in any form I could dream of! Another 'Woo Hoo'! (Someone out there will appreciate that statement...)
I have now found the catalyst for my change. If I can upload a document, then download it in any format, I really can work on the document anywhere. (I know there are ways to save the documents with different formats, but this works well for me. Productivity, baby.)
Also, I have officially opened my mouth to my students about the possibilities I been considering with Google Docs (working together on math reflections in math, payload experiment write-ups, completing the rocket science test for the rocket team) and they're pretty excited. Now, I want my mommy. I could really use some advice for managing a large group of students in this situation. There will eventually be 75 math students. For now, I will set things up for a group of 12 independent study math students, and separately for the 15 rocket team members to see how that goes. When it comes to the larger group, what do I do? Take time out of class and have them each set up their own account, or set up an account for each of them using standard usernames and passwords so I can monitor their use and help them out when passwords, etc. are forgotten? Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. I'm considering doing some collaboration in Google Docs as well and I was having some of the same concerns about setting up accounts for the students. I really like your idea of setting up the accounts as the teacher so that you could have access and passwords. I think this will also work to keep the students on task as the account isn't a personal one, they are just borrowing it for either the length of the assignment or the class. Although it would take a bit of time in setting up, the chance to monitor and change passwords when the project or class is over allows you to maintain enough control while the students benefit from the intended use... great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I needed to give my students google accounts last year, I added them one by one. It was quite a bit of work.

    However, I think it would work to take a class to the computer lab and walk them through the process. Have them choose the same login as their school login, and do the same with the password. (You might also want to add the hour they have class to the login.)

    If you do that, then you will know what their login and password are, without having to go in and create all of the accounts yourself.

    If you don't want to take all of the kids to the lab at once, you could set up a small learning station and have a few kids set up accounts, and then have them teach the next little group how to do it. But, I think taking them all to the lab is worth a try.

    Another thing I have done is post directions for creating an account on my website, and then make it homework for the students to actually set up the account. And, if they can't get it done at home, they can always come to my room during lunch at get it done.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! That was very helpful. I'm going to try having them use their school info and do it as an assignment. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many neat features to learn about each tool. Beware though, if you upload and download the same document several times you can introduce unwanted characters/code.

    ReplyDelete