Tuesday, March 10, 2009

InTime Video Review

I chose to watch a video on graphing linear equations because I will be teaching that to my seventh graders within the next month. The video is set up for a high school level, as that is typically where graphing linear equations is taught, but I thought I might be able to find something new to consider.

I liked the idea of the InTime videos that are set up with lesson plans, show student troubleshooting senarios, and are aligned to national(?) standards. The quality of the video is very good, and search queries are organized so it seems anyone could find something about anything that is actually in the database.

The actual video itself, however, was of minimal help. It used an activity that I have used in the past, an overhead projector integrating a TI graphing calculator on an LCD display, (I have use Ti Presenter and love it!), and had students practicing the skill they learned on game software (that isn't free). This set of videos, however, would be of great value to the pre-service or new teacher as it provides several teaching situations at the touch of a button. This opportunity would provide the young teacher with more 'experience' than she would be able to get through obervation and participation alone. The additional vicarious experience could be reflected on in a mentor session or stand alone as a model for teaching. Could PI-34 teachers include something like this in their professional portfolio?

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad your video was of minimal help, I think we all can learn from other practitioners. I think a video like this would be ideal in a PI34 portfolio.

    ReplyDelete