I think spreadsheets are an integral part of the teaching profession. Whether we are grouping students, recording grades, taking attendance, or keeping track of points, we are constantly organizing sets of data. I personally use a spreadsheet to organize my rocket teams by keeping track of the forms they need to submit, and the number of participation points they earn each week, using the spreadsheet to calculate the number of points earned and the number of points needed to attend the competition.
When it's appropriate, I model using spreadsheet, either via software or a graphing calculator with the intention of showing my students how much more efficiently data sets can be used and analyzed by converting tables to graphs within seconds (yes, under a minute...). It's nice to see the awe in the eyes of middle and high school students who have been plugging and chugging numbers on their calculators, and using grid paper, pencils, and especially erasers to create graphs, having to analyze the data after, in addition. With the use of spreadsheets, the focus of the task can take on a more evaluative focus than a number crunching, visual-organizational task.
Software, in my district is understandably a pain to implement. There's a process in place that allows for management of copies, lisencing agreements, and financial expenditures. Generally, if software is desired for one or two users, then a teacher can order it, submit a work request, and the tech specialist installs it. If more than one or two users need to access the software at a time, the software request follows that of a textbook request. It goes through our Director of Instruction, possibly the district technology committee, and the school board, where the cost, including maintaining lisencing fees, and assuring sufficient hardware is available is considered, approved (or not), and ordered by the D.I. Whew! ...lots to consider, but it's also a substantial investment at times.
Now, to consider what happens if the teacher is unable to troubleshoot the software...
Danelle, I can definitely relate to the complicated process you need to follow in order to get new software. My district also has a long and somewhat disconnected process which sometimes seems to discourage teachers and schools from trying to discover or use new software in the schools. I think it's great that you are modeling the use of spreadsheets so much in your class. I really think that some students learn a lot just from observing their teachers and the fact that you are using spreadsheets will definitely encourage your students to think of ways that they can use spreadsheets for class and for their own personal lives.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like some good personal uses of spreadsheets - and it is a process to implement software, but I think it should be a process. When used correctly software should augment and be a part of the curriculum. Keep up the good work
ReplyDelete