This week has seen more success as far as productivity goes. Wolfmail has allowed me access for 3 consecutive tries, I have been able to complete an assignment, and I think my to do list is accurate. Now I hope to be able to complete all that I need to within the time frame I've been allowed.
The Tool Review assignment gave me some great ideas for my class. The CMP (Connected Math Program) is set up in a way that the students learn by working in small groups on activities while the teacher guides and interacts with the students informally. Sometimes, when a couple of the small groups are struggling with the reflective portions of the activity it is beneficial to have some large group sharing. With Poll Everywhere, I have added some slides in the PowerPoint presentation I use to introduce the activity that will show the responses from each of the small groups. The idea is that when the struggling groups see other groups' responses, they will be able to formulate their own and share it with the class. This technique should allow all groups to move at their own pace, yet still contribute to the larger good. Less time will be taken compared to the stop-and-share method.
Survey Monkey is a service I had been wanting to find out more about. The principals for our Discovery Charter School have used it a couple of times to collect perspectives from parents. I made a end of the course survey for my students to try. I appreciate feedback from students and parents, but it is always a pain to analyze the information. Survey Monkey was quick and easy to set up, and a link to my webpage will make it easy to share. However, there are a few analysis features I would like to access along with possibly creating an evaluation with more than 10 questions. In order to do this, I would need access to the paid version. I emailed our current Director of Instruction about whether or not we had a subscription, and if we could use it to survey parents and students. I hope we can, it would really simplify the 3 year review requirement of having to have collected and evaluated parent feedback.
Ta-Da List and Backpack aren't really anything I can see using regulary in the classroom; Backpack, because it requires a fee, and Ta-Da because there are so many alternatives integrated within other tools.
Goog411 was kind of cool. I can see myself using it personally more than professionally, however, as I have a tendency to avoid the phone as much as possible.
Tokbox...well, I don't know why I would use this tool when I am already set up with Skype. Maybe I'll understand more of it's benefits when I read other reviews.
Starting this class was a bit like buying a lemon for a car. I needed to get it fixed up before it could really do me any good. When I did get it running, I got a flat tire I needed to fix, but now all seems well. I think I might be able to start traveling regularly now... (fingers crossed;)
I think there are so many tools out there that it's hard to start moving from one to another - like tokbox instead of Skype. I also feel that some of the tools are kind of not worth the time and effort, like you stated with Ta-da being incorporated into other tools.
ReplyDeleteHi Danelle, I'm so glad that Wolfmail is treating you more kindly these days. I've never heard it described before as a lemon with a flat tire! Unfortunately for you it was an apt description. I hope your car runs smoothly after this.
ReplyDeleteJim
Hi Danelle,
ReplyDeleteI really liked Survey Monkey as well. I'm using it to poll district staff that I train. This way I can spend the summer analyzing what training techniques are working and which aren't.