http://sites.google.com/site/dkarasmath/tiprograms
This is a handy TI83 graphing calculator emulator. If you know how to use it, you can calculate many of your stats on your computer. It operates just like a fully functional TI83 calculator. (Excel works quite well, too, and you may already have it and know how to use it.) :)
So far, the coursework has been refreshing in the sense that it's not as open-ended as many of the activities we've been doing up to this point. Though I've enjoyed being creative and working on project-like assignments, my left brain is happy to be active.
I am looking forward to the discussions that will arrive from making judegments based on given statistics. There is always a barage of data being thrown out there in education, and along with these numbers, judgements are made. The problem is, as I see it, that these numbers are not reported in full and hence, people are manipulated with them. In addition, when too many numbers are thrown out there, many people don't know what to do with the numbers or cannot interpret the information given. What is the solution? Give them all the information and overwhelm people, or keep it simple and risk deception?
Here's another great link to help with z-score analysis: http://www.measuringusability.com/pcalcz.php
Thanks for the links. They were interesting to understand. Unfortunately some of the concepts, like z-score is foreign to me and I have no knowledge of what it means.
ReplyDeleteI thought the video was interesting and provided me with a good refresher into what statistics is and how to use it. Fortunately for you it is something that you use probably all the time!!
It's funny how you talked about using your left brain. I guess it does feel good to be challenging the other for a change, but I have to admit it's mighty rusty!
ReplyDeleteI think you've raised some excellent points about the use of data. Isn't the joke that 85% of statistics is made up? Feels like these days, everyone is tossing out numbers to support their findings. I like the idea of studying stats as well, but I am having difficulty understanding the significance of terms such as deviation and variance. That, I don't understand one bit. For me, it would help if we actually had the terms dummied-down so that I could see what their use is in everyday life. Some of the Powerpoints touched upon the terms in regards to rentals, but I need more of that. I guess I'll be relying on you for help during this course...
Long live the left brain! I'm with you - much more comfortable with specific tasks and structure. Statistics is characterized by a little more wiggle room than other branches of math.
ReplyDelete