Monday, February 2, 2009

Waiting To Move On

I thought I would be able to create a work group via Google Docs and Dropbox for the rocket team and my independent study kids. What I'm waiting for is school email accounts to be set up for the twenty or so kids.
I found that our tech person would prefer for us to use our FirstClass software for work group environments. FirstClass is our school email, etc system. We also use it to create and maintain our school webpages. I have set up a workgroup for the rocket team and have added the Learning Center supervisor and the other rocket team advisor as members. We were able to use it a bit at our meeting last Thursday. It worked quite nicely for file access. Once the kids get added, our presentation work should be more smooth and efficient.
Apparently, the current versionof the software does not have synchronized collaboration like Google Docs does. The new version coming out in July is supposed to have added this feature. I'm not sure how this lack will work with the independent study students. The activity was supposed to be creating a routine reflection document with a partner. I will have to think about the alternatives and see what works.
For now, I'm playing the waiting game. Waiting for the emails to be added so we can move on.
BTW- Dropbox and my computer don't seem to get along. I had to turn off the automated synchronization feature because my computer gets exhausted and will shut down...yep, all by itself...without my permission...lazy, rebellious, object...I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment